Although yesterday’s focus was on the launch of the championship at inter-county level we are, of course, now in a small pocket of time in the GAA calendar where club action takes precedence. We must be because they’re even playing champo matches up here in the capital at the minute, though in a few short weeks they’ll be tipping the club action into the deep freeze until the summer is over.
Back on home turf the first round of matches in both the senior and intermediate championships are on this weekend. Ensconced as I am over here on the other side of the island, there’s little in the way of telling insights I’m able to impart on the contests that are set to unfold over the coming days. However, both the Mayo News (who have a great 12-page supplement) and the Western People have all the info you might need in the paper and digital variants of their respective editions this week.
I’ll obviously be keeping an eye in particular on how Aghamore are doing. In rating the likely contenders for the Moclair Cup, I see that Mike Finnerty in the Mayo News has them, along with Knockmore, down as dark horses, behind the big three of Castlebar Mitchels, Ballintubber and Breaffy. Alan Freeman, with whom there’s a really good in-depth interview in that Mayo News supplement, reckons Aghamore are in the next batch of challengers behind the leading quartet, in which he includes Knockmore. We do a nice line in modesty over that end of the county.
Anyway, enough of the blather – here are details of all the senior and intermediate championship fixtures down for decision this weekend:
Mayo Senior Football Championship
- Charlestown v Knockmore, Saturday 6th May, 5pm at Charlestown
- Garrymore v Westport, Saturday 6th May, 7pm at Garrymore
- Ballaghaderreen v Hollymount/Carramore, Saturday 6th May, 7pm at Ballaghaderreen
- Breaffy v Davitts, Saturday 6th May, 7.30pm at Breaffy
- Ballintubber v Kiltane, Saturday 6th May, 7pm at Ballintubber
- Claremorris v Aghamore, Sunday 7th May, 4pm at Claremorris
- Crossmolina v Castlebar, Saturday 6th May, 7pm at Crossmolina
- Ballinrobe v Ballina, Sunday 7th May, 4pm at Ballinrobe
Mayo Intermediate Football Championship
- Belmullet v Ardnaree, Sunday 7th May, 2pm at Tallagh
- Ballyhaunis v Parke, Sunday 7th May, 2pm at Ballyhaunis
- Swinford v Shrule/Glencorrib, Sunday 7th May, 4pm at Swinford
- Mayo Gaels v Islandeady, Saturday 6th May, 5pm at Mayo Abbey
- The Neale v Louisburgh, Saturday 6th May, 7pm at Cong
- Bonniconlon v Burrishoole, Sunday 7th May, 2pm at Bonniconlon
- Castlebar Mitchels B v Tourmakeady, Sunday 7th May, 2pm at Castlebar
- Moy Davitts v Kiltimagh, Sunday 7th May, 2pm at Srath Garbh