Club Mayo Dublin have a world exclusive this morning (with my thanks to Ma-Yoman for alerting me to this a few minutes ago) with the news that our opening NFL match – against our old pals from Galway, with their new pal Joe Kernan calling the shots for them for the first time in a proper competitive encounter – is now being shifted to Sunday, 7th February, because of the long-running and as yet unresolved planning issue relating to the use of the new floodlights at McHale Park. Club Mayo quote County Board Chairman, James Waldron, as saying that the switch in date “has to be confirmed” (by HQ, one assumes) but that it would be “hard to see any problems with that”.
That’s true, I guess – there are likely to be fewer potential problems for the County Board by switching the match to the Sunday than there would have been if they’d decided to go ahead on Saturday night with the planning situation still to be sorted. Seen in this light (pardon the pun), the decision to move the game back till after the spuds have been consumed on the following afternoon sounds like a whole load of common sense to me. Oh yeah, and now it means that I’ll be able to get to the game too. That strikes me as a win-win, even if it does means that the live coverage on Setanta now won’t happen either.
PS: I see that Midwest are reporting the switch in date too (they’re saying that James Waldron was speaking to them on the radio this morning so maybe the Club Mayo lads didn’t have an exclusive on this after all) so it seems definite that the match will now take place on the Sunday. The Mayo News now have the same story too.